A salve is a medicinal ointment made from herbal infused oils and wax. Because salves do not contain water, they tend to last a long time and not become moldy.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Pour herbal infused oil into a double boiler and warm gently.
- Slowly add grated beeswax to the hot oil and stir until wax is melted.
- Add your choice of essential oil if desired.
- Pour into your sterilized salve jars or tins.
- Use only fresh smelling herbal oils. Off odors can indicate bacteria is present.
- In warm weather, add more beeswax to keep product from becoming too soft.
- Do not use a dirty finger to scoop out salve. You can introduce bacteria to the clean product. As an alternative, use a Popsicle stick, coffee stir stick, z tip or other fresh applicator to keep the salve clean.
What You Need
- 4 ounces of herbal infused oil
- 3/4 ounce beeswax
- 10 - 12 drops of Essential Oil
- Jars or tins for storing salve