One of the most soothing remedies for cold and flu season is cough drops. Make your own from herbs that will not only soothe, but help support your immune system.
Time Required: 30 minutes to make, 1 hour or more to cool
- Create 1/2 cup of very strong herbal infusion
- Bring sugar and corn syrup to boil
- Boil hard, until sugars reach 290 degrees, test by dropping a bit into icy water and then breaking it. If it snaps, it is finished.
- Stir in infusion
- Pour into shallow pan, I use a cookie sheet with sides. Line pan with wax paper first.
- Cut into cubes before sugar is completely cool. If you wait too long, sugar will harden into a sheet of candy resembling a large lollipop. It is possible to shatter this into usable pieces, if needed.
- Herbs to use include pine needles, horehound, yarrow or any other herbs that you know to soothing and immune supportive.
- Dust finished cough drops in slippery elm powder to help keep them from sticking.
- Store in a tightly covered jar, away from heat.
What You Need
- 1/2 Cup infusion
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup corn syrup
- Heavy sauce pan
- Candy thermometer
- Shallow pan such as a cookie sheet with sides.
- Wax paper