One of the most soothing remedies for cold and flu season is cough drops. Make your own from herbs
that will not only soothe
, but help support your immune system.
Time Required: 30 minutes to make, 1 hour or more to cool
- Create 1/2 cup of very strong herbal infusion
- Bring sugar and corn syrup to boil
- Boil hard, until sugars reach 290 degrees, test by dropping a bit into icy water and then breaking it. If it snaps, it is finished.
- Stir in infusion
- Pour into shallow pan, I use a cookie sheet with sides. Line pan with wax paper first.
- Cut into cubes before sugar is completely cool. If you wait too long, sugar will harden into a sheet of candy resembling a large lollipop. It is possible to shatter this into usable pieces, if needed.
- Herbs to use include pine needles, horehound, yarrow or any other herbs that you know to soothing and immune supportive.
- Dust finished cough drops in slippery elm powder to help keep them from sticking.
- Store in a tightly covered jar, away from heat.
What You Need
- 1/2 Cup infusion
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup corn syrup
- Heavy sauce pan
- Candy thermometer
- Shallow pan such as a cookie sheet with sides.
- Wax paper