This is a flu tonic that tastes just like it's name. It's a fiery blend of spice and vinegar, everything included has it's own kick. It's perhaps not the most delicious herbal remedy going, but really does rev up your immune system. Use it as a spicy base for a salad dressing or be brave and take a shot every couple of hours from the first sign of a cold symptom. What makes this special, is that the history of Fire Cider can be traced back to ages ago, where everyone's grandmother gave them a shot to ward off the chill, or to sweat out a cold. It's long, loving history is proof itself, that fold remedies do have a place in herbal medicine. Cheers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Steep before using-Weeks: 2 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 1 Quart
- 1 quart jar with lid
- Cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped ginger root
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded horseradish root(the real deal)
- 3 cayenne peppers or 1/8 cup red pepper flakes
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- Roughly chop all ingredients and fill the quart jar about 3/4 full.
- Pour cider vinegar over all to cover
- Add a plastic layer to top before adding lid. This prevent corrosion of the metal seal-yep, it is that strong.
- Seal tightly
- Shake every day for at least 2 weeks
- After 2 weeks, strain and measure vinegar
- Add equal part natural sweetener, such as honey , Agave syrup or maple syrup. I have added molassas but my children do not like it as well. Try it!