1. Home

Amy Jeanroy

Bring In Your Hen and Chicks

By September 12, 2008

Almost every day, I am told that I have some strange herbal knowledge. I consider that a high compliment, since I am inspired by the plants around me, wanting to know how to use everything and always researching local flora.

Today, I was giving away pots of Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum tectorum), also known as Houseleek. One of the ladies asked me what you could possibly use these for in an herbal sense. Houseleeks are in the Succulent family, just as Aloe is. It may then come as little surprise that the common Houseleek, or Hen and Chicks, can be used for burn healing. Scrape the juicy, gelatinous insides out with a knife, apply to your burn and cover with a clean bandage to hold it there.

About.com Guide, Kerry Michaels, has the most fabulous way to create a container garden out of a shell and some of these great plants. Her idea is much more interesting than my style of "Stick it in a pot and hope for the best". Be sure to check out her site, and bring in those Hens and Chicks!

Photo © Gabriel Jeanroy, 2008

Comments

September 13, 2008 at 6:25 pm
(1) Vanessa says:

This is why I love coming to your site :) Yes I’ve been quite schooled in plants…but its still funny how you can learn such different things about them depending on what you study. I have so much to learn about all the herbal side of things.

September 17, 2008 at 6:52 pm
(2) starrpoint says:

I did not know this, but that would make it a great housewarming gift!

September 17, 2008 at 10:01 pm
(3) herbgardens says:

Wouldn’t it? I am just glad to find something small enough to fit on my already crowded kitchen windowsill.

Amy

September 26, 2008 at 2:04 pm
(4) Robin says:

I have a HUGE pot of hen & chick that was a Mom’s day gift. How do I successfully bring it indoors over the winter? Or will they be “safe” outdoors over the PA winter?

October 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm
(5) bob says:

live in windsor, ont have my hens & chicks in cut out log what do i do for winter can bring inside or leave out

May 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm
(6) crystal says:

I have tons of hen and chicks that over over growing my container and an old cut down tree trunk in my back yard…could I grow them on the tree trunk and if so how would I go about doing that??